The Lauter Tun

Of course I can't have a completely selfless blog...check out The Lauter Tun Craft Beer Bar website and sign up for our newsletter.

8/10/12

Lovechild #2 Review


*As perceived by the mouth of Chad Rozniecki
**Individual tastes may vary

Boulevard Brewing Company














-This beer is a Bourbon Barrel Aged Malt Beverage as the label describes it.

-750ml Cork and Cage Bottle

-Served into Chimay Goblet

--When my wife bought me this beer, I assumed it would be a strong, malty, sweet, bourbon-barrel-aged ale with heavy notes of vanilla, oak, caramel etc. What I found was QUITE the opposite, and yet very tasty.

Appearance:
Attractive Dark Copper/Amber color with little to no head even after practically forcing it. The white head dissipates almost immediately after pouring. A slight haze to the beer either from suspended yeast or chill haze.

Smell:
Extremely tart and refreshing, similar to something like Goose Island's Lolita. I smell some darker red fruits like raspberry or maybe cherry and definitely some great funk. Again, not at all what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Mouthfeel/Flavor:
There is mild carbonic bite as it hits the tongue accentuated by the acidity of the brew. Salivary glands immediately start working as I can sense the tartness before I even swallow. There is a very mild sweetness on the front of the palate followed by a very minimal/mellow oakiness in the middle. I also sense a very small amount of bouron flavor in the middle followed by fairly intense fruity sourness.


Overall:
An incredibly refreshing sour beer. Of course, after reading the label, I should have noticed that they used Lacto and Brett in the beer thereby making it sour... but I think this added in the enjoyment of the beer in that I had no previous expectations (rather an uniformed expectation). Reasonably complex flavors from not only the basic ingredients but also the barrel aging and the various other fungi/bacteria used to ferment the beer. I would definitely get this beer again, though I should probably have a friend to share it with so I'm not consuming 750ml of barrel-aged sour beer by myself...
but then again...

From 1-5 I give this beer a 4+.

Thank you readers and please check back soon to read more.

Check out Boulevard Brewing for more info about their beers and check www.thelautertun.com for information about our bar.

Chad



No comments:

Post a Comment